I'm a bit of a Jane-of-all-trades.
JS, HTML, and CSS
- Things I <3: AngularJS, Angular, TypeScript (gotta love TS), SCSS, BEM (it 's the best for large scale projects)
- Things I've used: React, Backbone, jQuery, vanilla JS, Bootstrap, LESS, SMACSS
- Things I want to use more: Angular, React, Vue, Python
What good is an application if no one can use it?
I take vague "we want this thing, there" statements and turn them into concrete mockups and designs that satisfy stakeholders and users alike.
- My designs have been used by millions of customers (I'm still amazed!).
- My favorite UX book is "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug.
- My UX tools of choice are: white boards, graph paper, Invision, and HTML / CSS.
Other Principles I follow
- Responsive design is my world. I cry on the inside when I see a site that isn't responsive, and fight for those mobile users when a stakeholder says they want to limit access.
- Accessibility for all people is super important. Contrast, roles and landmarks, aria labels, proper form labelling...the list goes on.
- Who wants to wait 30 seconds for 30MB of data to download for a portfolio site? Not I.
Speaking and Teaching
I've taught at two schools: The Iron Yard and Pinellas Technical College. I find teaching one of the most pleasurable ways for me to give back to my community and share my knowledge.
I also drop knowledge at conferences and meetups sometimes.
- Avoiding "How Do I Do That Again?": Making WordPress Easy for Your Clients - WordCamp Tampa 2015
- UI Transitions: The Good, the Bad, and the Coded - Central Florida Web Developers Meetup, March 2014
Other Tools and Tech
- Jekyll, WordPress, VSCode, Gulp, Grunt, GitHub, Photoshop, Illustrator, BitBucket, Visual Studio, TFS, Invision, Balsamiq, Sketch